System Control Operator
A System Control Operator (and Operator in Training with certain limitations) is responsible for monitoring and control of Thunder Bay Hydro’s power distribution system via a SCADA system. System Operators also ensure the continuity of supply to customers and the implementation of the Utility Work Protection Code with regard to the safety of crews during construction and maintenance of the system.
Where to Start
Consideration as an Operator In-Training is given to applicants with:
- an Electrical Engineering Technologist Diploma, or an equivalent combination of formal College or University level electrical education and experience in an electrical field; and
- experience with AutoCAD, computers and related software.
Where to Start
Once you are hired, you will receive on-the-job education and training. As part of the position, candidates must enroll in and successfully complete the Journeyperson Electrical Operator Training Program.
- Controlling distribution circuits including co-coordinating switching and work protection with internal and external customers; receiving trouble calls and dispatching crews; substation and vault inspections and minor maintenance.
- Operating the SCADA Computer system which includes monitoring communication lines and status of remote stations, switch sites and associated equipment; monitoring and compiling of feeder loads.
- Maintaining system operating diagrams, in both electronic and paper form.
- Loading, programming and retrieving data from surveillance and communication systems.