Power Line Technician
A Power Line Technician constructs, operates and maintains Thunder Bay’s overhead and underground electrical distribution systems.
Where to Start
Consideration as an Apprentice is given to applicants with:
- a Secondary School diploma or equivalent with a good mathematical background;
- an electrical background including completion of a post-secondary electrical credit course; and
- a proven mechanical aptitude.
The following qualifications are also preferred from applicants:
- 2 to 5 years experience in the construction/ electrical industry
- Current Certification in First Aid , CPR certification, WHMIS and/or Chain Saw Certification
- AZ license
Once you are hired, you are enrolled in a provincially recognized Journeyman Lineman Program for a 4 to 5 year apprenticeship. This education combines on-the-job and formal training.
- Climbing of poles and structures of varying heights
- Working on both energized and de-energized lines
- Operating equipment of specialized sorts provided (including aerial devices) to dig holes, handle and set or remove poles, string conductor and/or perform other tasks of a difficult nature
- Work concerned with the construction, maintenance and modification of urban and rural distribution