A Meter Technician is responsible for monitoring accurate power consumption and demand for customers with proper meter installations, testing and record keeping.
Where to Start
Consideration as an Apprentice is given to those applicants with:
- a Secondary School graduation diploma together with excellent mathematical skills;
- an Electrical or Electronic Technician certificate or an Electrician certificate; and
- a Completed meter training and digital metering course.
Once you are hired, you are enrolled in the Municipal Electric Association’s (MEA) Journeyman Meter Mechanic Certificate Program for a 4 year apprenticeship. This education is combined with on-the-job and formal training.
- Performs cross phase analyzing, reports results and takes appropriate action.
- Exchanges and constructs new single and three-phase meters and installations of meters.
- Installs primary metering installations and energizes meters after installations.
- Upgrades existing installation on existing customer premises and analyzes installations after meters are energized.
- Operates computer using software for remote meter reading of larger users, industrial and commercial customers.