A Meter Technician is responsible for monitoring accurate power consumption and demand for customers with proper meter installations, testing, and record-keeping.
Where to Start
Consideration as an Apprentice is given to those applicants with:
- a Secondary School graduation diploma together with excellent mathematical skills;
- an Electrical or Electronic Technician certificate or an Electrician certificate; and
- a Completed meter training and digital metering course.
- Once you are hired, you are enrolled in the MEARIE Journeyman Meter Mechanic Certificate Program for a four-year apprenticeship. This education is combined with on-the-job and formal training.
- Performs cross-phase analyzing, reports results, and takes appropriate action.
- Exchanges and constructs new single and three-phase meters and installations of meters.
- Installs primary metering installations and energizes meters after installations.
- Upgrades existing installations on existing customer premises and analyzes installations after meters are energized.
- Operates computer using software for remote meter reading of larger users, industrial and commercial customers.